Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Why my Horn Professor is actually the coolest and how they made me a better teacher.

 So if you're not aware: I play French Horn.

I play French Horn a LOT. It's my favorite instrument to play and I cherish it's existence every day of my life. Since the 7th grade, I had a variety of private horn instructors that helped me develop my tone, and playing abilities into a manner that not only made me sound good, but also, I applied into my life as steps to becoming a better person. I think often why they are so good, and how they do it. 

So ISTE.org has a list of really good "standards" for teachers and educators alike, in how to set the example for the students. One of those "standards", which exemplifies that the teacher has to also be a learner, is what I want to point out. I'll share a little bit how each of my Horn Professors exemplified in their teaching (whether they knew about it or not) and how I hope to apply it into my life. I will simply just list them as Teacher 1, 2, and 3. if any of them by some chance read this, I hope you remember what number teacher you were in my life. 

2.1: Learner

1. Is a father with a newborn during his time teaching me. Even with the conditions of having a child, He was continuously looking for ways he could improve himself. I specifically remember when we were practicing tuning and one day, we went from having a little tuner, to having a phone on the stand, with the tuner, where the closer you were to your correct pitch, the bigger the green smily face got in the middle. it was so awesome for me and although new to him as well, He learned that day that even the small little things were going to help me. 

2. She was always adamant that she was right, but when I came in with a really high sense of pitch (not perfect, but better than hers) she was blown out of the waters! She was so curious how I am able to do such. When I then was able to teach her my methods of memorizing pitch via youtube/spotify, She then applied and used it from then onwards. I don't know if she still uses it, but I do just remember that moment because She taught me well that It's okay to admit that we are all have our specialties and can learn from one another.

3. What makes my third teacher so special is that she has had little to no actual training on what it means to be an educator and teach well. She simply performs, and if it sounds good, it sounds good, no matter the method that was approached to get there. It's quite a nonchalant way of going about things, but from it, we both learned from each other through means of collaboration, and with it, how special the internet is in teaching us with a wide range of *free resources.

*at the expense of buying a phone/tablet/computer with service


Well in a full roundabout means from this, I am still a learner, and when I get to the playing field of teaching music and english in the future, I don't believe this feeling of being a student will ever leave me. I understand fully that I need to keep improving my technological abilities (like how to properly size these gifs I include) and also be willing to learn from those who may know more than me, regardless of age. I hope that in making sure that my students know that they have the ability to teach as well, and giving them this opportunity I hope will empower them to pursue dreams. 



Model Teaching from the Bluey Gang: 

I decided to include this compilation of Bluey clips which is on DisneyNow, where they are in Calypso's Classroom. This class is one that I admire so much because some of the most important life lessons are taught here, both from the teacher AND the students. So sit back, watch, and enjoy :)  





3 comments:

  1. Your experiences in your life was helping me to know being learners have their responsibility to work on their life, not only a teacher responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay but why was this so fun to read. I love your blog and how you relate the iste standards to your horn professors. I learned a lot from your second teacher that being a learner we need to humble ourselves to learn from our students as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey! Your blog responses are so interesting and fun to read! Thank you for sharing about yourself and connecting your experiences to the material. I love that you actually had taught your teachers a few things using the resources you like to use. As a teacher, we always need to be open to learning new things especially from our students!

    ReplyDelete

Keepy-Uppy with your formative assessments!

 Active learning as a whole:  As Bandit would say, "active learning is the bee's knees!" (typical Aussie dad moment), Not only...